Katie


Mum,

I have found writing my food memory surprisingly difficult, because so many of my childhood memories involve food. All holidays and times of year prompt special memories – such as endless batches of homemade hot cross buns at Easter, sticky balls of bonfire toffee in November and wishes for the first tastes of spring. Your love of food and cooking has become mine – especially your love of baking and sweet things. I always loved baking with you at home, whisking and stirring, and when I bake I always remember to use my fingers ‘like a cake fairy’ (a tip which always works!).

I’ve decided after much deliberation to choose Jam Fritters for my food memory recipe. Why? Because they always got made when what was needed was an extra special end to tea and they always brought so much excitement. The hot sweet jam and piles of shiny sugar felt indulgent and we always felt like we were getting a big treat. Quick, easy and yummy…..

Jam Fritters Recipe

  • Slices of white bread (thinking back we never had white bread so was this bought specially?)
  • Jam
  • Eggs
  • Milk
  • Sugar
  • Butter/Oil

Make jam sandwiches (crusts off for real treats)

Dip in egg and milk mixture

Fry in butter/ or oil

Dip in lots of sugar

Pile up on plate and eat

Lick fingers, feel better

Lots of love and looking forward to lots of recipes for me to try, Katie xxx

Comments